Monday, May 3, 2010
Girls on the Run
Girls on the Run is a program for third to fifth grade girls. It is basically a self esteem program that covers many issues girls that age face, gossip, self respect, communication, peer pressure, etc., and teaches the girls how to deal with these issues through running. I heard about the program about four years ago and have wanted to get the program started here ever since. Finally, this year, I did it. Life has seemed to calm down enough and the girls were old enough, that I felt ready to take it on. And what a rewarding experience it has been. We had about forty girls sign up for the program in addition to our (the coaches) daughters. Even though my girls are far from old enough to be enrolled in the program, they were able to attend the practices and classes. Olivia has loved it. The girls in the program have been so sweet to my girls, they loved going with me. Last Saturday we had our final GOTR 5K race. All but 3 girls came out to the race and did great. We are the Cedaredge Jelly Beans and made jelly bean bandanas to be able to find our girls in the masses of people at the race. Olivia had to run with me because there were so many girls (1500) and I didn't want her to get lost. I had to stop once to help a little girl who was struggling to breathe and Olivia wasn't very happy that she couldn't keep going. We finished the race in just over 30 minutes which is a great time for her little legs. She had so much fun and asked me when she could do it again. Tony the Tiger was at the race signing shirts, they had music playing, lots of food, medals, and goodies. It is fun to run races with the kids because of all the excitement that goes along with it. It is a rewarding way to end a season of training. I am sad that our season is over, but look forward to doing GOTR again next year. I am excited that my girls will get to be part of such a wonderful program. Aubree is a pretty good runner as well and wants to participate in the race next year. She is up to about 1.5 miles and going strong. It is fun to take the girls out running. The great thing about running is that it is free. Not many things in life are free anymore.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






3 comments:
That is an Awesome program! Look what a great influence you are having on those girls! Wow! Olivia is quite a runner, that is a great time!
That is so awesome Kalie! Good for you for doing that--that's a lot of work! And I am seriously impressed she came in just over 30 minutes--for such a little one, that is awesome. Let's be honest, for even a big one like me, it ain't too shabby. :) Great work!
What a fun experience!! I have found a new love for running and can't wait to have my baby so I can start again. I love that Livvy did it with you. Way to go! Your little family is so cute.
Post a Comment